Saturday, July 30, 2011

Holy Bananas...Has it really been so long?

I can't even remember the last time I blogged, and truly, it hurts my heart. I know this blog initially was about the frustrations of dating a gamer, and while I still harbor much resentment towards StarCraft, I think it's time that this blog evolves into a little bit more. It's amazing how life has changed since my last entry. I was a starving college student, and now, I'm a starving college grad on the hunt for a decent job (funny stories about that). By the way, finding a good job, or any full time job for that matter, is a lot like going on a treasure hunt. It's exhausting and, for the most part, completely useless and unfulfilling. Another massive change is that our wedding is only three months away. I can't even believe that in three months I'll have a husband. I get a minor panic attack just thinking about it.

As a recent college grad, and by recent, I mean it's happening in exactly one week (don't worry, I'll definitely graduate - I already passed all of my classes - HIGH FIVE!), I know what it's like to stress out about school and finding a major that fits you. I am known in my family to change majors like I change clothes - which is often. I think I had around six different majors throughout my post high school education. I'm well over the 120 credit hours it takes to get a Bachelor's Degree. To be exact, I am graduating with 176 credit hours under my belt.
There's new legislation going through the State of Florida that will limit the amount of credit hours a person can take, and if they exceed the 120 hours it takes to get a Bachelor's Degree, students will have to pay an "excess" hours fee. Some companies argue that this is fee should be the same as out of state tuition. To read more about the fee, go here:http://tribwww.gumiyo.com/p.p?a=rp&m=b&_fromSocial=1&postUserId=41&postId=625988 .
Obviously colleges say there's good reason for this fee, like long waiting lists. Which really makes me laugh. I'm glad to tell you that I don't know much about waiting lists, but I do know that record numbers of students are going to college. More and more kids are pursuing an education after high school. So, with more kids going (and getting in), what's up with the waiting list? Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I really don't understand how we can limit a person's education. I wasn't prepared to decide what I wanted to do for the rest of my life at 18 years old just like many of my friends. Why would we punish people for dabbling in education and trying their hand at as many classes as they want. Colleges are still getting paid. Why do they need more? All I know is that Florida's education plans consistently discourage and frustrate me.

You know, when I think about this, I feel like students are Zerg (underpowered) and colleges are Protoss (totally overpowered). Is StarCraft just one big metaphor for life?

No comments:

Post a Comment